Simple Tips for Writing an Engineering Personal Statement
Writing personal statements are often a problem to many students especially that this greatly determines their admission to top schools and programs. There are several factors that should be taken into serious consideration when you craft your engineering personal statement. Remember that this is used by the admission committee to evaluate your expertise, competency and personal skills. Here are top tips to help you submit top notch personal statements:
- Always start early; this will enable you to allocate enough time to write several drafts, edit, proofread and revise your engineering personal statement.
- Do not hesitate to get help from your teacher or faculty members as they can offer advices that might be beneficial when writing your personal statements.
- Embrace your uniqueness. The main goal of personal statements is to help distinguish you from other candidates. Staying original will enable you to bring something new to the table.
- Consider what your readers would want to read. Choose carefully what details you want to share to your personal statements. Your engineering personal statement should be relevant to the course or program you are applying.
- There are several approaches that you can use when writing your personal statements. Some utilizes descriptive while others tell stories about their experiences and personal events.
- Avoid using clichés. This is common and most likely will never work especially when you are aiming to differentiate your approach.
- Your personal statements should be brief, concise and direct to the point. Any unnecessary details could prove to be irrelevant and which can compromise the overall quality of your engineering personal statement.
- Be focused. Do not include several issues in one essay. Stick to one story and expand it with personal realizations.
- Remember that writing personal statements is not only limited to accomplishments, awards and skills but this is also an opportunity for you to showcase your values, integrity and commitment.